The Xbox 360 Will No Longer be Produced
Phil Spencer had some loving words to speak today as he announced that the Xbox 360 will no longer be produced. Last November Microsoft celebrated 10 years and now it’s time to ’close up shop’ and focus on the future.
Phil stated that franchises like Gears of War were born on the 360, and established blockbusters like Halo really came into their own during this console generation. Xbox 360 was also the foundation for industry-leading technical innovation like Kinect, and the start of system updates and dashboard refreshes based on fan feedback.
Thanks to the Xbox 360, Microsoft evolved Xbox Live from the original Xbox into the thriving online gaming community it is today. And the console became a beloved gaming and entertainment hub with over 78 billion gaming hours played, nearly 486 billion Gamerscore on 27 billion achievements and over 25 billion hours spent in apps over its lifetime.
And it was said that Xbox 360 owners need not worry, and here is why:
- Xbox 360 owners will continue to receive Xbox Live services for their console, such as online multiplayer gaming and parties, access to the apps they use today, and Games with Gold and Deals with Gold.
- Xbox Live servers that support Xbox 360 services will also remain online and active. Our Xbox 360 fans can continue to play their favorite games with the full support of Xbox Live.
- Gamers will also be able to continue to buy over 4,000 Xbox 360 games or Xbox 360 accessories at retail and through our Xbox 360 store online, while supplies last.
- Any Xbox 360 hardware will still be supported at xbox.com/support.
- And Xbox One owners will be able to continue to enjoy available Xbox 360 games through Xbox One Backward Compatibility – at no additional cost.
Given that we are an Xbox centric site here at Xbox Addict (I know...DUH!!!) we have to say we’re kinda sad but we knew that this day would come. Thanks for all the fun you provided us Xbox 360, it was a blast for sure.
Source: Press Release